Faculty and Staff
Wenliang (Kevin) Du
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- 4-285 Center for Science & Technology
- Ph.D. 2001, from Purdue University
- Computer and network security
- Smartphone and mobile system security
- Security education
Recent work has involved the studies of the Android operating systems with the following goals: (1) identify security problems in the design of the Android operating system, (2) identify security problems in mobile apps and develop tools to detect them, (3) develop improved access control for mobile systems.
Other current work includes the development of effective hands-on lab exercises for security education. We started the work in 2002, and we have developed about 30 labs for both undergraduate and graduate students. As of September 2015, over 350 universities and colleges worldwide are using them.
- Computer security
- Internet security
- Android security
- Android Programming
- 2014 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Engineering Education, May 2014.
- 2013 Faculty Excellence Award from L.C.Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science.
- 2013 ACM CCS Test-of-Time Award.
- Best Paper Award in the 11th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD), May 22-25, 2007, Nanjing, China.
- Best Paper Award in The 19th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), April 4-8, 2005, Denver, Colorado.
- Guo Mo-ruo Award (1992), University of Science & Technology of China.
Click here to see full list of publications
Yousra Aafer, Nan Zhang, Zhongwen Zhang, Xiao Zhang, Kai Chen, XiaoFeng Wang, Xiaoyong Zhou, Wenliang Du, and Michael Grace. Hare Hunting in the Wild Android: A Study on the Threat of Hanging Attribute References. To appear in the 22nd ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Denver, Colorado, USA. October 12-16, 2015.
Xing Jin, Xunchao Hu, Kailiang Ying, Wenliang Du, Heng Yin and Gautam Nagesh Peri. Code Injection Attacks on HTML5-based Mobile Apps: Characterization, Detection and Mitigation. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. November 3 – 7, 2014.
Paul Ratazzi, Ashok Bommisetti, Nian Ji, and Wenliang Du. PINPOINT: Efficient and Effective Resource Isolation for Mobile Security and Privacy. In Proceedings of the Mobile Security Technologies (MoST) workshop, May 21, 2015.
Tongbo Luo, Hao Hao, Wenliang Du, Yifei Wang, and Heng Yin. Attacks on WebView in the Android System. In Proceedings of the 27th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), Orlando, Florida, USA. December 5-9, 2011.
Karthick Jayaraman, Wenliang Du, Balamurugan Rajagopalan, and Steve J. Chapin. Escudo: A Fine-grained Protection Model for Web Browsers. In ICDCS: The 30th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, Genoa, Italy, June 21-25, 2010
Wenliang Du. The SEED Project: Providing Hands-on Lab Exercises for Computer Security Education. In IEEE Security and Privacy Magazine, September/October, 2