Riyad S. Aboutaha
Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 1994, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, 1990, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA.
- B.E., Civil Engineering 1981, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Ductility of CFRP strengthened concrete bridge girders
- Durability of wearing surfaces for FRP bridge decks
- Seismic response of deteriorated concrete bridge components
- Economy of preventive maintenance of highway bridges
- GFRP reinforced concrete structures in corrosive environments
- Smart reinforced concrete structures
Preventive maintenance is the most economical approach to maintain existing concrete bridges. Therefore, evaluation of existing bridges with intention of applying preventive maintenance should be based on chemical assessment of the bridge condition, not primarily based on physical assessment. An in-depth investigation of the combined deterioration effects of various deterioration mechanisms is needed to establish sound thresholds for harmful chemicals in concrete bridge elements. Such established thresholds are critical for cost-effective maintenance decision making, in a timely fashion, before any deterioration starts. This project takes a scientific-practical approach for preventive maintenance of concrete bridges.
Modern, low cost maintenance of concrete bridges using effective NDT test data. This project investigates the smart use of NDT data to predict the near future service condition of concrete bridge components, and its utilization for cost-effective preventive maintenance policy. The impact of this study will enhance the followings: (1) development of better rational for setting maintenance frequency based on condition, (2) development of preventive low-cost maintenance measures for better control of deterioration rate, (3) understanding of financial consequences of delayed maintenance, and (4) reduction of the number of structurally deficient bridges.
- CIE 332 Design of Concrete Structures
- CIE 478/678 Rehabilitation of Civil Infrastructure
- CIE 536 Prestressed Concrete Design
- CIE 635 Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- CIE 677 Design of Structural Systems
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (ACI)
Janid, F., and Aboutaha, R., “Residual Flexural Strength of RC Beams with Unbonded Reinforcement,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 111, No. 6 (2014), Michigan, USA.
Jnaid, F. and Aboutaha, R.S., “Controlling Design Limits for FRP Reinforced Concrete Flexural Members Designed According to ACI440.R1-06,” Computers and Concrete Journal. (Approved for publication in 2012).
Huang, Jianwei, and Aboutaha, R.S., “Durability Design of GFRP Bar Reinforced Concrete Members,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Volume 14, Issue 5, pp. 479-486. (September/October 2010).
Tapan, M., and Aboutaha, R.S., “Effect of Steel Corrosion and Loss of Concrete Cover on Strength of Deteriorated RC Columns,” Elsevier Journal of Construction & Building Materials.
Park SangDon, and Aboutaha, R.S., “Finite Element Methodologies for FRP Strengthened RC Members,” Journal of Computers and Concrete, Korea, October-November issue, 2006.