Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Combustion and Energy Research Laboratory (COMER)
- Energy conversion
- Fuel cells
- Thermal management
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs): Fuel cell materials synthesis and fabrication, catalyst development of electrodes, system integration and the fuel cell characterization
- Membranes for carbon dioxide recovery from combustion processes
- Co-generation system of electricity and syngas
- Gas-phase and catalytic combustion in counterflow, heat-recirculating combustors/exchangers
- Development of meso- and micro-combustors/heat exchangers
- Catalyst development for ultra low-temperature reaction
- Thermal transpiration based propulsion, pumping, and power generation
- Development of an integrated power generation system
- Fuel cells
- Heat and mass transfer
- Fluid mechanics
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient of Faculty Excellence Award, 2012
- Grand Prize Winner of the Nunan Lecture and Research Day Poster Competition, 2011
- Recipient of WSU MME Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008 – 2009
- Awarded in WSU Faculty Excellence Recognition Program, 2008
- Selected one of 8 finalists in The 2007 ASME Innovation Showcase (I-Show) Competition, 2007
- Who’s Who, 2007
- Member of Pi Tau Sigma, National Honor Mechanical Engineering Society
- Member of Alpha Pi Mu, National Honor Industrial Engineering Society
Jeongmin Ahn, “Fuel Cell Technologies”, in Applied Science, Salem Press, Hackensack, NJ, ISBN: 978-1-58765-781-8, pp. 829-834 (2012).
Jeongmin Ahn, “Swiss Roll Heat Exchangers/Reactors and Solid-Oxide-Fuel-Cells Power Generation”, VDM Publisher, Saarbrücken, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-639-05298-5 (2008).
Referred Journal Publications
Kang Wang, Pingying Zeng, Jeongmin Ahn, and Paul D. Ronney, “A Self-Sustaining Thermal Transpiration Gas Pump and SOFC Power Generation System”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 34, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.06.168 (2012) in press.
David C. Walther, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Advances and Challenges in the Development of Power Generation Systems at Small Scales”, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 37, Issue 5, pp. 583-610 (2011).
Kang Wang, Pingying Zeng, and Jeongmin Ahn, “High Performance Direct Flame Fuel Cell Using a Propane Flame”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 33, Issue 2, pp. 3431-3437 (2011).
Kang Wang, Jeongmin Ahn, and Zongping Shao, “A No Chamber Fuel Cell Using Ethanol as Flame”, Advances in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells V, Vol. 30, Issue 4, pp. 53-62 (2010).
Oscar Marin-Flores, Timothy Turba, Caleb Ellefson, Kang Wang, Joe Breit, Jeongmin Ahn, M. Grant Norton, and Su Ha, “Nanoparticle Molybdenum Dioxide: A High Activity Catalyst for Partial Oxidation of Aviation Fuels”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 98, Issues 3-4, pp. 186-192 (2010).
Jeong-Hyun Cho, ChienShung Lin, Cecilia D. Richrds, Robert F. Richards, Jeongmin Ahn, and Paul D. Ronney, “Demonstration of an External Combustion Micro-Heat Engine”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 32, Issue 2, pp. 3099-3105 (2009).
Jeongmin Ahn, Paul D. Ronney, Zongping Shao, and Sossina M. Haile, “A Thermally Self-Sustaining Miniature Solid Oxide Fuel Cell”, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 4, pp. 041004 (2009).
Kang Wang, Jeongmin Ahn, and Zongping Shao, “A High-Performance Flame Fuel Cell Using Ethanol as Fuels”, ASME Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3, IMECE2008-67504, pp. 361-367 (2008).
Hongxia Gu, Yao Zheng, Ran Ran, Zongping Shao, Wanqin Jin, Nanping Xu, Jeongmin.Ahn, “Synthesis and Assessment of La0.8Sr0.2ScyMn1-yO3-δ as Cathode for Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells on Scandium-Stablized Zirconia Electrolyte”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 183, Issue 2, pp. 471-478 (2008).
Ye Lin, Ran Ran, Yao Zheng, Zongping Shao, Wanqin Jin, Nanping Xu, Jeongmin Ahn, “Evaluation of Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3-δ as a Potential Cathode for an Anode-Supported Proton- Conducting Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 180, Issue 1, pp. 15-22 (2008).
Chunming Zhang, Yao Zheng, Ran Ran, Zongping Shao, Wanqin Jin, Nanping Xu, Jeongmin Ahn, “Initialization of a Methane-Fueled Single-Chamber Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell with NiO+SDC Anode and BSCF+SDC Cathode”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 179, Issue 2, pp. 640-648 (2008).
Kang Wang, Ran Ran, Wei Zhou, Hongxia Gu, Zongping Shao, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Properties and Performance of Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3-δ+Sm0.2Ce0.8O1.9 Composite Cathode”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 179, Issue 1, pp. 60-68 (2008).
Wei Zhou, Ran Ran, Zongping Shao, Rui Cai, Wanqui Jin, Nanping Xu, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Electrochemical Performance of Silver-Modified Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3-δ Cathodes Prepared Via Electroless Deposition”, Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 53, Issue 13, pp. 4370-4380 (2008).
Hongxia Gu, Ran Ran, Wei Zhou, Zongping Shao, Wanqin Ji, Nanping Xu, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell Operated on In-Situ Catalytic Decomposition Products of Liquid Hydrazine”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 177, Issue 2, pp. 323-329 (2008).
Zongping Shao, Sossina M. Haile, Jeongmin Ahn, Paul D. Ronney, Zhongliang Zhan and Scott A. Barnett, “A Thermally Self-Sustained Micro Solid-Oxide Fuel-Cell Stack with High Power Density”, Nature, Vol. 435, pp. 795-798 (2005).
Jeongmin Ahn, Craig D. Eastwood, Lars Sitzki and Paul D. Ronney, “Gas-Phase and Catalytic Combustion in Heat-Recirculating Burners”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 30, Issue 2, pp. 2463-2472 (2005).
Kaoru Maruta, Koichi Takeda, Jeongmin Ahn, Kevin Borer, Lars Sitzki, Paul D. Ronney, and Olaf Deutschmann, “Extinction Limits of Catalytic Combustion in Microchannels”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 29, Issue 1, pp. 957-963 (2002).