Eric M. Lui
Laura J. and L. Douglas Meredith Professor for Teaching Excellence
Civil & Environmental Engineering
- B.S.C.E. (High Honors), University of Wisconsin at Madison, WI.
- M.S.C.E., Purdue University, IN.
- Ph.D., Purdue University, IN.
- University Transportation Research Center (headquartered at CUNY)
- Steel structures, structural stability
- Structural dynamics, earthquake engineering
- Structural materials, numerical modeling
- Damage identification and quantification
- Computer-aided analysis and design of structures
Dr. Lui’s current research is in the areas of nonlinear behavior and limit states design of steel structures, seismic analysis and performance-based design of structures, effect of nonlinear damping on structures, application of shape memory alloys in earthquake resistant design, passive magnetic negative stiffness dampers, energy dissipative segmented steel plate shear wall, seismic assessment using the endurance time method, damage identification and quantification using system dynamic properties.
Dr. Lui has authored/coauthored numerous journal papers, conference proceedings, special publications and research reports in these areas. He is also a contributing author to a number of engineering monographs and technical handbooks. In addition, he is the author/co-editor of the 2nd edition CRC Handbook of Structural Engineering, and is the co-author/co-editor of four books on the subject of steel design, structural stability, and earthquake engineering. He currently serves as editor-in-chief of two journals and serves on the editorial boards of several other scientific and engineering journals.
- ECS 354 – Green Technology and Sustainability
- CIE 331 – Analysis of Structures and Materials
- CIE 433 – Intermediate Structural Analysis
- CIE 535 – Structural Steel Design
- CIE 538 – Dynamics of Structures
- CIE 629 – Reliability of Civil Systems
- CIE 631 – Structural Analysis I
- CIE 632 – Structural Analysis II
- CIE 634 – Stability Analysis of Structural Systems
- CIE 636 – Plastic Design of Steel Structures
- Bleyer Scholarship, University of Wisconsin (1979)
- Bates and Rogers Foundation Scholarship, University of Wisconsin (1980)
- David Ross Fellowship, Purdue University (1982, 1983)
- Nellie Munsion Award for Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Purdue University (1982)
- Coauthor of the AISC Higgins Award Paper (1985)
- Crouse Hinds Award for Excellence in Education, Syracuse University (1997)
- Nominated for the Munro Prize for Best Paper (2000)
- ASCE Committee on Student Services Certificate for Exemplary Services (2000)
- ASCE Faculty Adviser Reward Recipient (2000, 2001, 2002)
- Letter of Honorable Mention, SU ASCE Student Chapter, Faculty Advisor (2000, 2001)
- Certificate of Commendation, SU ASCE Student Chapter, Faculty Advisor (1999, 2003, 2005, 2006)
- Technology Alliance of Central New York (TACNY) College Educator of the Year Award (2007)
- Named one of two Recipients of the ECS Faculty Excellence Award (2009)
- Member of Honor Society Tau Beta Pi
- Member of Honor Society Phi Kappa Phi
- Member of Honor Society Sigma Xi
- Member of Honor Society Chi Epsilon
Woldegebriel, Z.T. and Lui, E.M. “Long-span hybrid suspension and cable-stayed bridges,” McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, 2015, 168-172.
Tang, W. and Lui, E.M. “Hybrid re-centering energy dissipative device for seismic protection,” Journal of Structures, Volume 2014, Article ID 262409, 2014, 17 pp., doi:10.1155/2014/262409.
Tang, W. and Lui, E.M. “Application of shape memory alloys in earthquake-resistant design,” McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, 2014, 19-24.
Singh, R. and Lui, E.M. “Design of PR frames with top and seat angle connections using the direct analysis method,” Advanced Steel Construction, 10(2), 2014, 116-138.
Lui, E.M. and Zhang, X. “Stability Design of Cross-Bracing Systems for Frames,” Engineering Journal, American Institute of Steel Construction, 3rd Quarter, 50(3), 2013, 155-168.
Yang, Y. and Lui, E.M. “Behavior and design of steel I-beams with inclined stiffeners,” Steel and Composite Structures, 12(3), 2012, 183-206.
Oguzmert, M. and Lui, E.M. “Seismic design of inelastic structures using equivalent linear system parameters: part 1 – derivation and comparison,” The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, 4(2), 2011, 89-102.
Oguzmert, M. and Lui, E.M. “Seismic design of inelastic structures using equivalent linear system parameters: part 2 – application and verification,” The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, 4(2), 2011, 103-114.
Khanse, A.C. and Lui, E.M. “Pulse extraction and displacement response evaluation for long-period ground motions,” The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, 3(4), 2010, 211-223.
Ge, M., Lui, E.M., and Khanse, A.C. “Non-proportional damage identification in steel frames,” Engineering Structures, 32, 2010, 523-533.