Associate Professor of Practice
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2009
- M.S. Sharif University of Technology, 2006
- Syracuse Center of Excellence
- Stress, modal and thermal analysis of mechanical and aerospace structures
- Computational mechanics
- Multi-disciplinary design optimization
- Composite materials and damage mechanics
- Multi-scale modeling and material characterization
- Material constitutive relations and modeling
Dr. Dalir’s research interests have revolved around different topics in the area of mechanical and aerospace engineering. His primary research interests are within the general area of Solid Mechanics and specifically on stress, modal and thermal analysis of mechanical and aerospace structures; computational mechanics; multi-disciplinary design optimization; composite materials and damage mechanics; and multi-scale modeling and material characterization.
Courses taught (last two years):
- Design and Analysis of Aerospace Structures
- Synthesis of Aerospace Systems
- Finite Element Analysis
- Composite Materials
- Engineering Computational Tools
- Mechanics of Materials
- Outstanding Faculty Award 2016, College of Engineering and Computer Science, Syracuse University.
- IEEE Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering 2016, London, UK.
- Technical and Organising Committee, IEEE International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering 2016, London, UK.
- Technical Advisor and Session Chair, American Society for Composites 31 Technical Conference and ASTM Committee D30 Meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.
- Gold Prize, NAMIS International School 2010, Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo.
- 21st Century COE Award 2008, Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences.
- Outstanding Leadership Presentation Award 2007, Tokyo Institute of Technology.
H. Tian, X. Cao, C. Wang and H. Dalir, “Vibration and noise reduction of a commercial 4oK pulse-tube Cryocooler”, Cryogenics, Elsevier, submitted.
F. Michaud, H. Dalir and S. Joncas, “Design and optimization of an aircraft morphing wing: composite skin”, AIAA Journal, submitted.
D. Barry, H. Dalir and S. Joncas, “Design and optimization of an aircraft morphing wing: metallic structure and actuators”, AIAA Journal, to be submitted.
H. Dalir, “Damage tolerance coupon sizing of composite stiffened panels under impact”, IEEE International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (2016), pp. 68-72.
X. Cao, H. Tian and H. Dalir, “Development of a new finite element simulation strategy for prediction of thermal and resin shrinkage deformations of composite parts during cure”, American Society for Composites 31 Technical Conference and ASTM Committee D30 Meeting (2016), Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.
H. Dalir, “Dynamic modeling of a flexible spacecraft manipulator using distributed-lumped modeling technique”, Spacecraft and Launch Vehicle Dynamic Environments Workshop (2016), El Segundo, USA.
H. Dalir, R. D. Farahani, L. Hernandez, C. Aldebert, M. Lévesque and D. Therriault, “Three-dimensional dielectrophoretic microparticle separator fabricated by ultraviolet-assisted direct-write assembly”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 16 (2016), pp. 765-771.
R.D. Farahani, M. Pahlavanpour, H. Dalir, B. Aissa, M. A. E. Khakani, M. Lévesque, and D. Therriault, “Flow-induced orientation of functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes embedded in epoxy using three-dimensional microfluidic networks”, Materials and Design 41 (2012), pp. 214-225.
R.D. Farahani, H. Dalir, V.L. Borgne, L. A. Gautier, M. A. E. Khakani, M. Lévesque, and D. Therriault, “Reinforcing epoxy nanocomposites with functionalized carbon nanotubes via biotin-streptavidin interactions”, Composites Science and Technology 72 (2012), pp. 1387-1395.
H. Dalir, R. D. Farahani, V. Nhim, B. Samson, M. Lévesque and D. Therriault, “Preparation of highly exfoliated polyester-clay nanocomposites: process-property correlations”, Langmuir 28 (2012), pp. 791-803.
R.D. Farahani, H. Dalir, V.L. Borgne, L. A. Gautier, M. A. E. Khakani, M. Lévesque, and D. Therriault, “Direct-write fabrication of freestanding nanocomposite strain sensors”, Nanotechnology 23 (2012), pp. 1-9.
H. Dalir, R. D. Farahani, V. Nhim, B. Samson, M. Lévesque and D. Therriault, “Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Polyester/Nanoclay Nanocomposites: Microstructure-Mixing Strategy Correlation”, Material Research Society 1312 (2011), ii02-05 (9 pages).
R.D. Farahani, H. Dalir, Brahim Aissa, My Ali El Khakani, Martin Lévesque and Daniel Therriault, “Micro-infiltration of three-dimensional porous networks with carbon nanotube-based nanocomposite for material design”, Composites Part A 42 (2011), pp. 1910-1919.
H. Dalir, T. Nisisako, Y. Yanagida, and T. Hatsuzawa, “DNA force-extension curve under uniaxial stretching”, Molecular Simulation 36 (2009), pp. 221-228.
H. Dalir, Y. Yanagida, and T. Hatsuzawa, “Probing DNA mechanical characteristic by dielectrophoresis”, Sensors and Actuators B 136 (2009), pp. 472-478.
H. Dalir, Y. Yanagida, and T. Hatsuzawa, “Multipolar electrical forces for microscale particle manipulation”, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 6 (2009), pp. 505-513.
H. Dalir, S. Shayan Amin, and A. Farshidianfar, “Effects of Small length scale on vibrations of an embedded double-walled carbon nanotube”, Mechanics of Composite Materials 45 (2010), pp. 557-566.