John F. Dannenhoffer, III
Associate Professor, Program Director of Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Sc.D., Computational Fluid Dynamics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987;
- M.E., Aerospace Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1978;
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1976
- Aerospace Computational Methods Lab (ACML)
- Applied computational geometry
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Computer-based engineering education
- Collaborative design
Professor Dannenhoffer’s research interests are in the areas of computational fluid dynamics, applied computational geometry, indoor airflows, collaborative design, and computer-assisted education. His current research interests include ( I ) development of tools and techniques for significantly reducing the time needed to perform computational simulations, including the building of models, grid generation, and post processing, (2) application of computational methods to the prediction of indoor air flows, including home and/or office buildings and mission-critical spaces, such as data centers, (3) the use of web-based technologies to support collaborative design for distributed teams, and (4) the development of computer-based systems that help students learn and practice engineering methods.
- AIAA Shahyar Pirzadeh Memorial Award for Outstanding Paper in Meshing Visualization and Computational Environments for “Conservative Fitting for Multi-Disciplinary Analysis”, 2014.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2012.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2011.
- LCS Faculty Excellence Award “for ARHIMEDES Software Upgrade”, 2010.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2005.
- ECS101: Introduction to Engineering & Computer Science (Aero)
- ECS104: Engineering Computational Tools
- AEE342: Aerodynamics
- AEE472: Synthesis of Aerospace Systems
- MAE430:Introduction to Design Optimization
- MAE671: Numerical Methods in Mechanical Engineering
“The Path to and State of Geometry and Meshing in 2030: Panel Summary”, AIAA-2015-3409, presented at AIAA Aviation 2016, June 2015. (co-author)
“Design Sensitivity Calculations Directly on CAD-Based Geometry”, AIAA-2015-1370, presented at AIAA SciTech 2015, January 2015. (principal author)
“Conservative Fitting for Multi-Disciplinary Analysis”, AIAA-2014-0294, presented at AIAA SciTech 2014, January 2014. (principal author)
“The Engineering Sketch Pad: A Solid-Modeling, Feature-Based, Web-Enabled System for Building Parametric Geometry”, AIAA-2013-3-73, presented at the 21st AIAA Computational Fl uid Dynamic Conference, June 2013. (co-author)
“Modeling Flow through a Perforated Plate for a New Combustion Rig”, AIAA-201 3-3092, presented at the 43rd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, June 2013. (co-author) “Application of Snapshot POD on a Varying Grid”, AIAA-2013-0256, presented at the 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, January 2013. (co-author)
“Geometric Sketch Constraint Solving with User Feed back”, AIAA-201 3-0702, presented at the 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, January 2013. Also to appear in the AIAA Journal of Information Systems (coauthor)
“Open CSM: An Open-Source Constructive Solid Modeler for MDAO”, AIAA-201 3-0701, presented at the 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, January 2013.
“Correlation of Grid Quality Metrics and Solution Accuracy for Supersonic Flows”, AIAA- 2012-0610, presented at the 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, January 2012.
“Automated Creation of 3-D Overset Grids Directly from Solid Models”, AIAA-201 1-3540, presented at the 20th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, June 2011. (principal author)
“Design of Simulated Server Racks for Data Center Research”, InterPACK201 1-52016, presented at the ASME 2011 Pacific Rim Technical Conference & Exposition on Packaging and integration of Electronic and Photonic Systems, July 201 1. (co-author)
“An Online System to Help Students Successfully Solve Statics Problems”, AC-2009-1555, presented at the 2009 ASEE Conference & Exposition, June 2009. (principal author)