Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. Princeton University, Princeton, 2009
- B.S. University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, 2003
- Biological fluid mechanics, specifically fish swimming
- Fluid structure interactions
- Vortex dynamics
- Turbulent combustion
Professor Green’s research interests include vortex-dominated wakes generated by swimming offlying of animals and the coherent structure composition of reacting and non-reacting turbulent flow fields. Increased understanding of how these flows are organized can lead to advances in basic research, model development for flow simulation, dynamics and control plus improvements in existing technology. In order to investigate these flows, Dr. Green integrates quantitative and qualitative experimental techniques with comprehensive data analysis such as Lagrangian coherent structures identification.
- AEE 427: Aircraft Performance and Dynamics
- MAE 321: Dynamics of Mechanical Systems
- MAE 645: Fluid Dynamics Measurements
- 2015: The Filtertech, Pi Tau Sigma, and Sigma Gamma Tau Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical an Aerospace Engineering (Syracuse University)
- 2014: Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award
- 2009: National Research Council Research Associateship
Huang, Y. & Green, M. A. (2015) Detection and tracking of vortex phenomena using Lagrangian coherent structures. Experiments in Fluids. 56. 7, I – I 2 .
Buchholz, J.H.H, Green, M.A., and Smits, A.J. (2011) Scaling the circulation shed by a pitching panel. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 688. 591-60 I .
Green, M.A., Rowley, C.W., and Smits, A.J. (2011)The unsteady three-dimensional wake produced by a trapezoidal panel . Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 685. I 17-145.
Green, M.A., Rowley, C.W., and Smits, A.J. (2010) Using hyperbolic Lagrangian coherent structures to investigate vortices in bioinspired fluid flows. Chaos. 20. (01751 0)
Green, M.A. and Smits, A.J. (2008) Effects of three-dimensionality on thrust production by a pitching panel. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 615. 211-220.
Green, M.A., Rowley, C.W., and Haller, G. (2007) Detection of Lagrangian coherent structures m three dimensional turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 572. I 1 1-120.