Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Ph. D. in Computer Science
- Cloud Computing: Virtual Resource Management, Data Center Networking, Green Cloud Computing and Mobile Cloud Computing
- Big Data: Big Data Infrastructure, Stream Data Processing and GPU-accelerated Data Processing
- Mobile Computing and Wireless Networking: Smartphone Sensing, Human-centric Sensing, Mobile Crowdsourcing, Cognitive Radios, and Smart Building
Dr. Jian Tang’s research interests lie in the areas of Cloud Computing, Big Data and Wireless Networking, with emphases on resource allocation, energy-efficiency, cross-layer design and fault tolerance. The general goal of his research is to enable high-performance and green computing and communications for emerging computer and network systems (such as smartphone sensing networks, cloud computing systems and big data processing platforms) by designing theoretically well-founded and practically efficient algorithms to solve fundamental resource allocation problems.
- CSE/CIS/ELE 458 Data Networks: Basic Principles
- CSE/CIS 612 Cloud Computing
- CSE658/ELE658 Data Networks: Design and Performance
- Best Paper Award, The 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (06/2014)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award (02/2009)
Xu, J. Tang, K. Kwiat, W. Zhang and G. Xue, Enhancing survivability in virtualized data centers: a service-aware approach, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Special Issue on Networking Challenges on Cloud Computing Systems and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 12, 2013, pp. 2610-2619.
Gao, X. Sheng, J. Tang, W. Zhang, S. Zou and M. Guizani, Joint mode selection, channel allocation and power assignment for green device-to-device communications,
Ad-hoc and Sensor Networking Symposium, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2014 (Best Paper Award), pp. 178-183.
Xu, Z. Chen, J. Tang and S. Su, T-Storm: traffic-aware online scheduling in Storm,
IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2014, pp. 535-544.
Yang, G. Xue, X. Fang and J. Tang, Crowdsourcing to smartphones: incentive mechanism design for mobile phone sensing, Proceedings of ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, (MobiCom), 2012, pp. 173-184.
Sheng, J. Tang and W. Zhang, Energy-efficient collaborative sensing with mobile phones, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom), 2012, pp. 1916-1924.