Mohd Yousuf Ali
Assistant Professor of Practice
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- 111 Link Hall
- [email protected]
Shock wave/boundary layer interaction, jets in crossflow, flow control, injector design, flow
Dr. Ali specializes in experimentally analyzing complex high-speed fluid phenomena such as shock wave/boundary layer interaction, jets in crossflow, and development and implementation of high-speed flow control actuators. Dr. Ali’s research also focuses on injector design and low-speed wind tunnel testing. Quantitative understanding of the flow physics requires use of various diagnostic and data analysis techniques. In particular Dr. Ali uses Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV), Background Oriented Schlieren (BOS), Pressure Sensitive Paint (PSP), high-speed and high-magnification flow visualization, and Planar Laser Scattering (PLS). To extract meaningful information a posteriori data analysis methods such as POD and DMD are also utilized.
- MAE 341 Fluid Mechanics
- MAE 647 Gas Dynamics
- MAE 251 Thermodynamics
- MAE 746 Viscous Flow
Recent Publications and Patents:
- Nozzle Designs to Enhance Spray Formation using Tailored Swirl and Shear – Pending Patent, 2015.
- Ali, M. Y., Pandey, A., and Gregory, J. W., “Dynamic Mode Decomposition of Pressure Sensitive Paint Data,” Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 6, 2016.
- Arora, N., Ali, M. Y., and Alvi, F. S., “Flowfield of a 3-D Swept Shock Boundary Layer Interaction in a Mach 2 Flow,” AIAA Paper 2016-3649, June 2016.
- Kreth, P., Ali, M. Y., Fernandez, E. J., and Alvi, F. S., “Velocity field measurements on high-frequency, supersonic microactuators,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 57, 2016.
- Arora, N., Ali, M. Y., Zhang, Y., and Alvi, F. S., “Shock-Boundary Layer Interaction due to a Sharp Unswept Fin in a Mach 2 Flow,” AIAA Paper 2015-1517, January 2015.
- Ali, M. Y. and Alvi, F. S., “Jet Arrays in Supersonic Crossflow – An Experimental Study,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 27, 126102, 2015.
- Emerick, T. M., Ali, M. Y., Foster, C. H., Alvi, F. S., Popkin, S. J., and Cybyk, B. Z., “SparkJet Actuator Characterization in Supersonic Crossflow,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 55, 2014.
- Ali, M. Y., Alvi, F. S., Kumar, R., and Ahmed, K. A., “Flowfield Characteristics of Oblique Shocks Generated using Microjet Arrays,” International Journal of Flow Control, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2014, pp 93 – 109.
- Ahmed, K. A., Ali, M. Y., and Alvi, F. S., “Mixing Characteristics of Active Microjet-Based Actuators in a Supersonic Backward-Facing-Step Flow,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 12, 2014, pp. 2855 2866.
- Ali, M. Y., Alvi, F. S., Kumar, R., Manisankar, C., Verma, S. B., and Venkatakrishnan, L., “Studies on the Influence of Steady Microactuators on Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interaction,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2013, pp. 2753 2762.
- Kumar, R., Ali, M. Y., Alvi, F. S., and Venkatakrishnan, L., “Generation and Control of Oblique Shocks Using Microjets,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 49, No. 12, 2011, pp. 2751 2759.