Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Translation
- Computational Linguistics
- Data Mining
- Recommendation systems
My main current research interest is Natural Language Processing (NLP). I have actively worked in NLP area, and my specific interest areas in NLP are as follows:
- Example Based Machine Translation – The aim of this research is the development of example-based machine translation systems between different language pairs. The developed systems learn translation templates from bilingual translation examples using machine learning techniques and use those learned translation templates in the translation of new sentences.
- Text Summarization – The aim of this research is the development of new approaches for text summarization and key-phrase extraction problems. The developed systems extract summaries and key-phrases of English and Turkish documents. The techniques that we used on the developed systems are based on lexical chains.
- Information Extraction – The aim of this research is the development of information extraction techniques. The new approaches are developed for name entity recognition problem.
- NLP Tools for Turkish – NLP tools for Turkish are developed to be used in our related NLP projects such as example-based machine translation systems. We developed NLP tools for Turkish such as a morphological analyzer, a part of speech tagger and a dependency parsers for Turkish
- My current research interests also include the usage of the machine learning approaches in NLP domain and related areas. I am also working on question answering systems, news recommendation systems and sentiment analysis systems on social media texts.
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
- Automata Theory and Formal Languages
- Compiler Design
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Structures
- Gonenc Ercan and Ilyas Cicekli, Topic segmentation using word-level semantic relatedness functions, Journal of Information Science, Vol. 42 (2016), No. 5, pp:597-608.
- Gulshat Kessikbayeva and Ilyas Cicekli, A Rule Based Morphological Analyzer and A Morphological Disambiguator for Kazakh Language, Linguistics and Literature Studies, Vol. 4(1), (2016), pp:96-104.
- Mucahit Kutlu, and Ilyas Cicekli, Noun Phrase Chunking for Turkish Using a Dependency Parser, Information Sciences and Systems 2015, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 363, Springer Verlag, (2016), pp:381-391.
- Nicat Suleymanov and Ilyas Cicekli, Developing A Platform That Supplies Processed Information from Internet Resources and Services, in: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Soft Computing and Machine Intelligence (ISCMI 2015), November 2015, Hong Kong, pp: 116-120.
- Servet Tasci and Ilyas Cicekli, Content-Based News Recommendation: Comparison of Time-Based System and Keyphrase-Based System, in: Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management, eds. Fred, , Dietz, J. L. G., Aveiro, D., Liu, K., Filipe, J., Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 553, Springer, (2015), pp: 84-98.
- Gulshat Kessikbayeva and Ilyas Cicekli, Rule Based Morphological Analyzer of Kazakh Language, in: Proceedings of the 2014 Joint Meeting of SIGMORPHON and SIGFSM (MORPHFSM 2014), June 2014, Baltimore, USA, pp:46-54.
- Mucahid Kutlu and Ilyas Cicekli, A Hybrid Morphological Disambiguation System for Turkish, in: Proceedings of the 6th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP 2013), October 2013, Nagoya, Japan.
- Nagehan Pala Er and Ilyas Cicekli, A Factoid Question Answering System Using Answer Pattern Matching, in: Proceedings of the 6th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP 2013), October 2013, Nagoya, Japan.
- Gülşen Eryiğit, Fatih Samet Çetin, Meltem Yanık, Tanel Temel and Ilyas Cicekli, TURKSENT: A Sentiment Annotation Tool for Social Media, in: Proceedings of the 7th Linguistic Annotation Workshop and Interoperability with Discourse, ACL 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria, August 2013, pp: 131-134.
- Gonenc Ercan and Ilyas Cicekli, Keyphrase extraction through query performance prediction, Journal of Information Science, Vol. 38, No. 5, (2012), pp:476-488.
- Filiz Alaca Aygul, Nihan Kesim Cicekli, and Ilyas Cicekli, Natural Language Query Processing in Multimedia Ontologies, in: Proceedings of International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development 2012 (KEOD 2012), Barcelona, Spain, October 2012.
- Ibrahim Aygul, Nihan Cicekli, and Ilyas Cicekli, Searching Documents with Semantically Related Keyphrases, in: Proceedings of The Sixth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing (SEMAPRO 2012), Barcelona, Spain, September 2012.
- Makbule Gulcin Ozsoy, Ilyas Cicekli, and Ferda Nur Alpaslan, Text Summarization using Latent Semantic Analysis, Journal of Information Science, Vol. 37, No. 4, (2011) pp:405-417.
- Turhan Daybelge, and Ilyas Cicekli, A Ranking Method for Example Based Machine Translation Results by Learning from User Feedback, Applied Intelligence, Vol. 35, no. 2, (2011), pp:296-321.
- Serhan Tatar, and Ilyas Cicekli, Automatic Rule Learning Exploiting Morphological Features for Named Entity Recognition in Turkish, Journal of Information Science. Vol 37, No. 2, (2011), pp: 137-151.
- Ergin Soysal , Ilyas Cicekli, and Nazife Baykal, Design and Evaluation of an Ontology Based Information Extraction System for Radiological Reports, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol. 40, (2010) pp: 900-911.
- Kezban Demirtas, Nihan Kesim Cicekli, and Ilyas Cicekli, Automatic Categorization and Summarization of Documentaries, Journal of Information Science, Vol 36, No. 6, (2010), pp: 671-689.
- Mücahid Kutlu, Celal Cığır, and Ilyas Cicekli, Generic Text Summarization for Turkish, The Computer Journal, Vol. 53, No. 8, (2010), pp. 1315-1323