Fifty Over Five Signature Hiring Initiative
The College of Engineering and Computer Science at Syracuse University is in year two of our transformative plan where we aspire to hire up to fifty faculty over five years across our four departments:
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical and Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Syracuse University is a Carnegie R1 ranked (highest research activity classification) university that “aspires to be a pre-eminent and inclusive student-focused research university.” The College seeks candidates at all ranks who are committed to innovative teaching, inclusive excellence, and interdisciplinary collaboration within six signature research areas.
- Health and Well Being – smart biomaterials, nanostructured biomaterials; cerebral/brain organoids, assistive technologies for rehabilitative treatment, drug delivery and pharmacology, blood-brain barrier, mechanobiology. Contributing disciplines: Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Biology, Chemistry
- Unmanned Systems – autonomous systems and control, multi-vehicle autonomous systems, flight planning, robotics, computer vision, risk assessment and policy for unmanned systems. Contributing disciplines: Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Law, Policy
- Energy Sources Conversion, and Conservation – energy efficient buildings, air conditioning and ventilation systems, green IT Systems, biofuels, energy conversion and heat transfer, materials for energy storage. Contributing disciplines: Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics
- Sustainable and Built Systems – green infrastructure, climate change, stormwater management, hydrologic and ecosystem modeling, water treatment technologies, infrastructure life cycle assessment, infrastructure resilience. Contributing disciplines: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Earth Sciences, Biology
- Intelligent Systems – machine learning, artificial intelligence, sensor fusion, cyber-physical systems, embedded systems, computer vision and image processing, cognitive wireless systems. Contributing disciplines: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Security – system assurance, privacy protection, biometrics, fraud detection, smart grid security, security in business analytics. Contributing disciplines: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, iSchool, Law, Policy.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and excellence in the classroom, research lab and community are strongly encouraged to apply. We are a top-tier research university with a proven commitment to supporting faculty and student research. Successful candidates will have an established research background and be leaders in their fields. The College of Engineering and Computer Science works in collaboration with other schools at Syracuse University including the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, the Whitman School of Business, the Newhouse School of Public Communication, the Center for Advanced Systems and the Syracuse Center of Excellence.
Researchers in the departments across Syracuse University and these centers are involved in several federally-funded projects on topics that include unmanned systems, biomimetic systems, building energy and environmental systems, green infrastructure, data fusion and mining, communication systems and networks. Also, New York state opportunities include the recent investment of $250 million for unmanned systems and cross-connected platforms in the central New York state region as part of the Upstate Revitalization Initiative, and the New York State Energy and Research Development Authority (NYSERDA) funding opportunities to develop smart building technologies.
We anticipate adding additional faculty positions over the coming months. If you would like to learn about positions in our Fifty Over Five expansion as they become open, complete this form:
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private research university of extraordinary academics, distinctive offerings and an undeniable spirit. With a gorgeous campus in the heart of New York State, a global footprint and a history that dates to 1870, we embrace diverse backgrounds and viewpoints.
Our student population includes nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students, representing all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. Our proud commitment to veterans and their families is unrivaled in higher education. Home to 11 schools and colleges, Syracuse University blends the foundational power of the liberal arts with the intense focus of professional programs. We offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering and Computer Science, Sport and Human Dynamics, Information Studies, Law, Management, Citizenship and Public Affairs, Public Communications, and Visual and Performing Arts.
A medium-sized city situated in the geographic center of the state, Syracuse, N.Y., is approximately a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Montreal. With a metropolitan population of 700,000, Syracuse is a center for cultural, recreational and artistic events, including the Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse Stage, Symphoria, Destiny Mall, multiple sporting events, and festivals including Jazz Fest and Winterfest. The outdoor enthusiast will enjoy having the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the Thousands Islands Region within easy driving distance of the Syracuse campus.
Syracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
Syracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the military-connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II, Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse University into the national research institution it is today. The University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family members.
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
Syracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The University community recognizes and values the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country, and a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and inclusivity.