Director, Records and Study Abroad


Assistant to Director, Records and Study Abroad

Student Records

Quick Links

Academic Forms and Procedures

Petition forms may be obtained below or by emailing the Student Records Office at [email protected].
When petitioning, students must obtain the following signatures, unless otherwise noted: first, the advisor, second, the department chair or program director, and finally, the associate dean.

Complete the Readmit Application prior to the application deadline:

  • Fall Semester deadline: July 1
  • Spring Semester deadline: December 1

Change of Major within Engineering and Computer Science

In order to select or change a major, students must obtain a formal approval from the department chair or program director of the new major. Students must complete a change of major petition and follow the procedure below:

  1. Meet with chairperson or program director of the new major.
  2. Complete a change of major petition clearly stating the current major and the new major.
  3. Obtain the signature of the chairperson or the program director of the new major.
  4. A review of the student’s file may be necessary before making a decision. If the petition is approved, the chairperson will assign a new faculty advisor to the student.

Intra University Transfer (IUT)

Students who wish to transfer to an Engineering and Computer Science major from another school or college must meet the following requirements:

  1. A minimum 3.0 GPA.
  2. Applicants are required to complete at least one of MAT 295, 296, or 397 (with a grade of B- or better) and science (by completing at least one set of PHY 211/221 or CHE 106/107 with a grade of B- or better). Students who wish to major in Computer Science must also complete CIS 252) with a grade of at least a B.
  3. Complete an IUT form from the Student Records office, 130 Link Hall.
  4. Meet with Maria Marceau, Director of Student Records, with any questions regarding the IUT process.

Major Requirements


Students are placed on academic probation when their academic records fail to meet specific minimum criteria for progress toward degree completion. This includes the following:

  1. Term or cumulative GPA less than 2.0 and Less than 2.0 mathematics, science, and Engineering and Computer Science course GPA (IST courses for SIS majors)
  2. Completion of less than 12 credits hours in one semester or 24 credits hours within any 12-month period
  3. Failure to complete at least 6 credits and/or term GPA less than 1.5, will result in immediate suspension
  4. Failure to complete calculus sequence by the end of the sophomore year (MAT 295, 296, & 397) (Does not apply to SIS majors)
  5. In addition to the above conditions, computer science students only: GPA of less than 2.667 in core courses
  6. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress toward your degree
  7. Failure to meet special conditions of previous semester


Syracuse University students register online using MySlice. Undergraduate students must meet with their advisor before they can register for classes.



  • Can I get credit for AP courses I have taken?

    Credits that can be awarded for AP courses are explained on the Admissions credit transfer page. Since suitability of those courses to specific programs depends on academic major, students should contact their academic advisors or the Student Records Office, 130 Link Hall, for additional information.

  • Will a course I have taken at another institution qualify for transfer credit?

    Consult the transfer credit database for courses already approved by the College for transfer.

  • How do I get credit for a summer course?

    Students wishing to obtain transfer credit for summer courses taken at another university must meet the requirements below:

    • Receive a grade of C or better (pass/fail grades are not acceptable)
    • Complete a transfer credit petition and obtain the necessary signatures
    • Have an official transcript showing the course taken sent to: Syracuse University’s College of Engineering & Computer Science Dean’s Office 223 Link Hall Syracuse, NY 13244-1240 Attn: Maria Marceau
  • How does advising work?

    All Engineering and Computer Science students are assigned faculty or staff academic advisors. The advisor signs all academic forms (add/drops, petitions). Each semester, prior to registration, students meet with their advisors to discuss the upcoming semester and to prepare for registration. It is important to plan carefully for this meeting to be sure that you will be taking the appropriate courses. You should also feel free to meet regularly with your advisor during the term to discuss program plans for the next term as well as any problems or concerns you may have.

  • How can I appeal a course grade?

    Any student who seeks to resolve a grievance of a course grade needs to follow the rules of the College of Engineering and Computer Science using the grade appeal process.