Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. Princeton University, Princeton, 2009
- B.S. University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, 2003
- Biological fluid mechanics, specifically fish swimming
- Fluid structure interactions
- Vortex dynamics
- Turbulent combustion
Professor Green’s research interests include vortex-dominated wakes generated by swimming offlying of animals and the coherent structure composition of reacting and non-reacting turbulent flow fields. Increased understanding of how these flows are organized can lead to advances in basic research, model development for flow simulation, dynamics and control plus improvements in existing technology. In order to investigate these flows, Dr. Green integrates quantitative and qualitative experimental techniques with comprehensive data analysis such as Lagrangian coherent structures identification.
- AEE 427: Aircraft Performance and Dynamics
- MAE 321: Dynamics of Mechanical Systems
- MAE 645: Fluid Dynamics Measurements
- 2015: The Filtertech, Pi Tau Sigma, and Sigma Gamma Tau Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical an Aerospace Engineering (Syracuse University)
- 2014: Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award
- 2009: National Research Council Research Associateship
Magstadt, A. S., Kan, P., Berger, Z. P., Ruscher, C. J., Berry, M. G., Green, M. A., Lewalle, J. & Glauser, M. N. “Turbulent flow physics and control: The role of big data analyses tools,” in Whither Turbulence in and Big Data in the 21st Century? Ed. Pollard, A., Castillo, L., Danaila, L., & Glauser, M. N. Springer, pp. 295-322. Online, 2016.
Kumar, R., King. J. T. & Green, M. A. Momentum distribution in the wake of a trapezoidal pitching panel , Marine Technology Society Journal, 50, 5, pp. 9-23, 2016.
Rockwood, M.P., Taira, K., & Green, M. A. Detecting vortex formation and shedding in cylinder wakes using Lagrangian coherent structures, AIAA Journal, (in print, doi: 10.2514/1.J055051), 2016.
Huang, Y. & Green, M. A. Detection and tracking of vortex phenomena using Lagrangian coherent structures, Experiments in Fluids 56, 7, pp. 1-12, 2015.