Associate Teaching Professor, Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Program Director
Biomedical & Chemical Engineering
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Missouri University of Science & Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla)
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Thesis Advisor: Nicholas L. Abbott, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Post-doctoral Research Associate in STEM Education and Outreach, Interdisciplinary Education Group, Materials Research Science and Engineering Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Chemistry Instructor, General Chemistry Coordinator, and Engineering Transfer Program Director, Madison Area Technical College
- Introduction to Engineering & Computer Science
- Mass & Energy Balances
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Chemical Engineering Laboratories
- Technical Communication & Professional Skills
- Chemical Process Safety
Education & Outreach Interests:
- Development of engineering faculty attitudes and pedagogy
- Professional skill development for engineering students
- K-to-Gray science and engineering outreach
- Project ENGAGE (Empowering the Next Generation: Advancing Girls in Engineering)
- AIChE Student Chapter Advisor Honor Roll, 2015-2018
- 2015 Teaching Recognition Award from the Syracuse University Laura J. and L. Douglas Meredith Professorship Program
- 2015 Syracuse University Chancellor’s Awards for Public Engagement and Scholarship: Inspiration Award
- 2014 Syracuse University College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean’s Award for Excellence in Engineering Education
- 2014 Technology Alliance of Central New York (TACNY) College Technology Educator of the Year
Education & Outreach Publications:
Cadwell, K.D., Blum M. M., Hasenwinkel, J.M., Stokes-Cawley, C. “A Gateway Course Redesign Working Group.” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education 2018 Annual Conference and Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, 2018.
Stokes-Cawley, C. and Cadwell, K.D. “Project ENGAGE: A Summer Immersion Experience in Engineering for Middle School Girls.” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education St. Lawrence Section Regional Conference, Syracuse, NY, 2015. Reprinted in Transactions on Techniques in STEM Education, 2016, 1(2): 20-29.
Blum, M.M, Cadwell, K.D., Hasenwinkel, J.M. “A mechanics of materials outreach activity: Reconstructing the human body – biomaterials and biomimicry.” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education 2015 Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA, 2015.
Walz, K.A., Britton, S., Crain, J., Cadwell, K., Hoffman, A., Morschauser, P. “Biodiesel synthesis, viscosity, and quality control for an introductory chemistry lab.” The Chemical Educator, 2014, 19: 342-346.
Hoffman, A., Britton, S., Cadwell, K.D., Walz, K.A. “An integrated approach to introducing biofuels, flash point, and vapor pressure concepts into an introductory college chemistry lab.” Journal of Chemical Education, 2011, 88(2): 197-200.
Duncan, K.A., Johnson, C., McElhinny, K, Ng, S., Cadwell, K.D., Zenner Petersen, G.M., Johnson, A., Horoszewski, D., Gentry, K., Lisensky, G., Crone, W.C. “Art as an avenue to science literacy: teaching nanotechnology through stained glass,” Journal of Chemical Education, 2010, 87(10): 1031-1038.
Cadwell, K.D., Zenner, G.M., Chesler, N.C., Crone, W.C. “Teaching undergraduate engineering students auxiliary design skills via online video modules and active learning exercises,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education 2009 Annual Conference and Exposition, Austin, TX, 2009.
Cadwell, K.D., Zenner, G.M., Crone, W.C. “Training undergraduates in the broader context of the research enterprise,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education 2008 Annual Conference and Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA, 2008.