John F. Dannenhoffer, III
Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering Undergraduate Program Director
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Sc.D., Computational Fluid Dynamics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987;
- M.E., Aerospace Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1978;
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1976
- Aerospace Computational Methods Lab (ACML)
- Applied computational geometry
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Computer-based engineering education
- Collaborative design
Professor Dannenhoffer’s research interests are in the areas of computational fluid dynamics, applied computational geometry, indoor airflows, collaborative design, and computer-assisted education. His current research interests include ( I ) development of tools and techniques for significantly reducing the time needed to perform computational simulations, including the building of models, grid generation, and post processing, (2) application of computational methods to the prediction of indoor air flows, including home and/or office buildings and mission-critical spaces, such as data centers, (3) the use of web-based technologies to support collaborative design for distributed teams, and (4) the development of computer-based systems that help students learn and practice engineering methods.
- AIAA Shahyar Pirzadeh Memorial Award for Outstanding Paper in Meshing Visualization and Computational Environments for “Conservative Fitting for Multi-Disciplinary Analysis”, 2014.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2012.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2011.
- LCS Faculty Excellence Award “for ARHIMEDES Software Upgrade”, 2010.
- Filtertech Award for Excellence in Education in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2005.
- ECS101: Introduction to Engineering & Computer Science (Aero)
- ECS104: Engineering Computational Tools
- AEE342: Aerodynamics
- AEE472: Synthesis of Aerospace Systems
- MAE430:Introduction to Design Optimization
- MAE671: Numerical Methods in Mechanical Engineering
Dannenhoffer, J.F., and Ollivier-Gooch, C., “Methods for the Evaluation of Candidate Meshes for the Geometry and Mesh Generation Workshop”, to be presented at the 23rd AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, June 2017.
Blum, M.M., and Dannenhoffer, J.F., “Integrated use of programming in Machine Design Course”, to be presented at the 124th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June 2017.
Dannenhoffer, J.F., and Haimes, R., “Using Design-Parameter Sensitivities in Adjoint-Based Design Environments”, AIAA-2017-0139, presented at the AIAA SciTech 2017, January 2017.
Dannenhoffer, J.F, and Green, M.A., “Use of a Full-motion Flight Simulator for Teaching Aircraft Performance and Dynamics”, AIAA-2017-0299, presented at the AIAA SciTech 2017, January 2017.
Chawner, J.R., Dannenhoffer, J.F., and Taylor, N.J., “Geometry, Mesh Generation, and the CFD 2030 Vision”, AIAA-2016-3485, presented at AIAA Aviation 2016, June 2016.
Ruscher, C.J., Dannenhoffer, J.F., and Glauser, M.N., “Repairing Occluded Data for a Mach 0.6 Jet via Data Fusion”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 55, No. 1, (2017), pp. 255-264.
Jia, P, and Dannenhoffer, J.F., “Generation of Parametric Aircraft Models from a Cloud of Points”, AIAA-2016-1926, presented at AIAA SciTech 2016, January 2016.
Rossetti, J.S., Dannenhoffer, J.F., and Green, M.A., “Snapshot Proper Orthogonal Decomposition of Cylinder Wake Flow in the Lagrangian Frame”, AIAA-2016-1929, presented at AIAA SciTech 2016, January 2016.