Master of Science in Environmental Engineering Science
The M.S. in environmental engineering science is intended for students with other technical/scientific undergraduate degrees.
Requirements with Thesis—30 credit hours. The candidate must complete a set of core courses offered by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In addition, the student must complete a cohesive program of elective coursework approved by the student’s advisor. All fulltime M.S. candidates are expected to participate in faculty/student seminar series each year. Furthermore, six credits of CIE 997-Master’s Thesis must be taken culminating in the defense of the thesis administered by the student’s thesis committee.
Requirements without Thesis—30 credit hours. The candidate must complete a set of core courses offered by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In addition, the student must complete a cohesive program of elective coursework approved by the student’s advisor. Furthermore, the student is required to take CIE 995-Master’s Exit Paper for 0 credits. The exit paper must address issues related to their specialty approved by the advisor and have a minimum length of 2000 words.
Professional Training Opportunity—For applicants who are admitted into the Master’s in environmental engineering, Master’s in environmental engineering science, or Ph.D. in civil engineering with an environmental engineering specialty, Syracuse University has research and professional training opportunities through EMPOWER, a new comprehensive graduate research training program. EMPOWER (Education Model Program on Water-Energy Research) is now accepting applications for graduate-student traineeships. For additional information and application requirements go to http://empower.syr.edu.
Classes offered by the College of Engineering and Computer Science are searchable under "Search for Classes" on MySlice under the following subject areas (Sign-on is not required):
- AEE - Aerospace Engineering
- BEN - Bioengineering
- CEN - Chemical Engineering
- CIE - Civil Engineering
- CIS - Computer & Info Science
- CPS - Computational Science
- CSE - Computer Engineering
- ECS - Engineering & Computer Science
- ELE - Electrical Engineering
- MAE - Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MEE - Mechanical Engineering
- MFE - Manufacturing Engineering
Based on exit surveys from 2017, 2018 and 2019 Syracuse University Civil and Environmental Engineering M.S. graduates.
- Companies that hire our graduates:
American Iron Works, CHA Consulting, Deloitte, Dubai Contracting Company, Hebert Construction, HNTB, Jacobs, Kenney Geotechnical Services, Larson Design Group, Michael Baker International, National Guard Bureau, NK Bhandari Architecture & Engineering, O’Brien & Gere, POWER Engineers, Schnabel Engineering, Silman, The Intelligence Group, Urban Assembly Academy of Government and Law, Whitacre Engineering, Windward Environmental, Self-employed
- In Summer 2018, students interned at:
Bechtel, CME Engineering, DeSimone Consulting Engineers, Jacobs Engineering, Lovvorn Construction, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse Regional Airport Authority, Upstate Freshwater Institute, Vidaris
- Job location: 84% in the US, 16% outside of US
- Job location within the US: 55% in Syracuse/Central New York, 25% in Metropolitan New York City, 5%Metropolitan Baltimore/Washington, DC, 15% Other
- Job titles: Assistant Engineer, Assistant Project Manager, Bridge Engineer, Civil Engineer, Designer - Facilities Engineering Department (structural group), Environmental Manager, Junior Site Engineer, Project Manager, Staff Geotechnical Engineer, Staff Scientist, Structural EIT, Transmission Line Engineer (Civil/Structural)
- Base salary range: less than $45,000 - $104,999
- Median base salary range: $55,000 - $64,999