Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Combustion and Energy Research Laboratory (COMER)
- Energy conversion
- Fuel cells
- Thermal management
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs): Fuel cell materials synthesis and fabrication, catalyst development of electrodes, system integration and the fuel cell characterization
- Membranes for carbon dioxide recovery from combustion processes
- Co-generation system of electricity and syngas
- Gas-phase and catalytic combustion in counterflow, heat-recirculating combustors/exchangers
- Development of meso- and micro-combustors/heat exchangers
- Catalyst development for ultra low-temperature reaction
- Thermal transpiration based propulsion, pumping, and power generation
- Development of an integrated power generation system
- Fuel cells
- Heat and mass transfer
- Fluid mechanics
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient of Faculty Excellence Award, 2012
- Grand Prize Winner of the Nunan Lecture and Research Day Poster Competition, 2011
- Recipient of WSU MME Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008 – 2009
- Awarded in WSU Faculty Excellence Recognition Program, 2008
- Selected one of 8 finalists in The 2007 ASME Innovation Showcase (I-Show) Competition, 2007
- Who’s Who, 2007
- Member of Pi Tau Sigma, National Honor Mechanical Engineering Society
- Member of Alpha Pi Mu, National Honor Industrial Engineering Society
Ryan J. Milcarek, Jeongmin Ahn, and Jianshun Zhang, “Review and Analysis of Fuel Cell Based, Micro Cogeneration for Residential Applications: Current State and Future Opportunities”, Journal of Science and Technology for the Built Environment, Vol. 0, pp. 1-20 (2017).
Ryan L. Falkenstein-Smith, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Experimental Study of Oxygen Transport Membranes for Oxy-Fuel Combustion Reactors”, Journal of Fluid Science and Technology, Vol. 11, Issue 4, pp. JFST0025 (2016).
Ryan J. Milcarek, Michael J. Garrett, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Micro-tubular Flame-assisted Fuel Cell Stacks”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 41, Issue 46, pp. 21489-21496 (2016).
Ryan J. Milcarek, Michael J. Garrett, Kang Wang, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Micro-tubular Flame-assisted Fuel Cells Running Methane”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 41, Issue 45, pp. 20670-20679 (2016).
Ryan J. Milcarek, Kang Wang, Ryan L. Falkenstein-Smith, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Performance Variation with SDC Buffer Layer Thickness”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 41, Issue 22, pp. 9500-9506 (2016).
Ryan J. Milcarek, Kang Wang, Michael J. Garrett, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Performance Investigation of Dual Layer Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia–Samaria-Doped Ceria Electrolyte for Intermediate Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Journal of Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage, Vol. 13, Issue 1, pp. 011002 (2016).
Ryan J. Milcarek, Kang Wang, Ryan L. Falkenstein-Smith, and Jeongmin Ahn, “Micro-tubular Flame-assisted Fuel Cells for micro-Combined Heat and Power Systems”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 306, pp. 148 – 151 (2016).